Being part of it
One plus to having a free form new parent schedule is the ability to attend inaugural events without having to miss work. So, I picked myself up and dusted myself off and joined thousands of people on the UC Berkeley campus to watch Barack Obama's inauguration on the jumbotron screen.

The crowd watched with a quiet hopefulness, as the 44th president was sworn in. The volume of people felt reflective of how much people are looking forward to a brighter future.
It also seemed to mirror Obama's sentiment that we as a people must engage in renewing the country. This by far was the most engaged I've seen people in a presidential candidate and inaugural events during my life time. I hope that we individually can all find ways to actively work toward rebuilding our country. It is daunting. We all have some much going in our daily lives - work, families, bills, stress, errands AND trying to find time to enjoy some quality of life in the midst of it all. Seems like what is needed is a really shift in how we approach our lifestyles and finding more time or ways to give back to the community and country. Admittedly, it will take me some time to figure how (and in what way) to incorporate this into my life. But today the seed to do so is planted.
Marissa proudly shows off her commemorative inauguration poster.
Marissa, Alston and I in the midst of the Berkeley action. It's no DC mall but it was a sight to see with way better (more bearable) weather!!! Today, I am pleased to welcome our first African American president FINALLY.
No comments:
Post a Comment