Amidst all hectic-ness, I built in some mandatory and sacred downtime to spend with some VERY special guests. My long, long, long time friend, Erin, her son, Owen and her mom, Therese(aka North Carolina Mom to me) arrived on the 24th for a visit. It is completely awesome to still have a friend that you made when you were 5 years old. I'm sure when we met in kindergarten that we could not envision that 30+ years later that we'd still be friends. Or that we'd be trying to connect with one another despite the fact that we always choose homes on opposite coasts from one another.
I don't remember our first meeting. Erin was just always there. I can barely remember a time when I did not know her. She's kinda like another sibling, except we chose each other and had seperate homes. Thank goodness our parents supported our friendship and shuttled us between our houses (we did not live near one another then either). Without that who knows what would have happened. We've grown into ourselves together. I can't say I'd be the person I am if I had not known her. I might even go as far as saying her influence equaled my parents. Good thing Erin is of quality character or I might be a real disaster!
At anyrate, a visit with Erin was long over due but it's getting harder to facilitate since I'm in Oakland, CA and she's in Eden, VT. Could we find homes further from one another? The last time I saw her was a few years ago when her son Owen was born. So, I think there was a special compulsion to put together a visit not too long after Alston's arrival. Many, many thanks to my other mom, Therese for helping make this trip happen.We tried to find lots of fun things to keep us (and Owen!!) entertained. A personal highlight for me was finally visiting Children's Fairyland. This place as long been a curiosity of mine - yet, I've never been able to visit, as no adults are permitted without a child! It's whimsically inspiring and seems to have changed very little since it's pre-Disney theme park conception in the late 40's. For it's time, Fairyland was innovative and unprecedented. Today, it still feels innovative to me... I guess cause in the face of TV and video games, this "old" world of make believe seems new again. It is wonderful to have such amazing place be so accessible(and close by!). I can't wait to till Alston is a bit older to really enjoy it! (ou, and they have summer sleep over nights! Tents and all! Can't wait!)

Owen had a great time playing in all the houses. And even braved and enclosed slide that seemed intimidating at first. Owen is quite a character and it's fun to see who he is growing into.The visit did come and go too quickly. There was so much more to do and say but hopefully, it won't be too long before I get to see Erin again. I love her and her family so much. You just can't beat old friends. They really are best!
No comments:
Post a Comment