8.01.2009

Swing higher?



The feeling we all seek: bliss. Sheer elated joy. As I grow older, it seems more elusive. How often do I think I have this blissful feeling? Is it once a week? Once a month? And what prompts this feeling? Or maybe what inhibits this emotion is the better question. Alston seems to reach this state of elation so easily. He finds the simplest things awesome in the truest sense of the word. It usually involves smacking his hands on a glass cabinet for a split second before I ruin the moment by thinking its TOO dangerous...or crawling to reach a something that is deemed not child appropriate. Granted in these instances, I hope that I do know better than my 9 month old. What I've concluded that I often stand in the way of my own enjoyment. Sometimes I'm thinking too hard about the task at hand, working too hard to get the exercise done quickly as to move on, preoccupied with the next thing, tomorrow things, next years thing or worst of all, I let my own inhibitions get in the way. Letting my guards down and allowing myself try or enjoy something is often the culprit. In this realm, Alston is more advanced than me, as he does not have any of these fear mechanisms. He's down the slide or hands free on the swing with the wind and a grin. Maybe with a bit of practice I can learn to be like this again.

My new goal: I will be fearlessly uninhibited by the time Alston learns to walk. (too ambitious?)

No comments: