10.14.2009

Thailand: Part 1 - Getting There

They say getting there is half the fun. Some how navigating 2 days worth planes, taxis, a private car and a ferry ride seemed pretty fluid and yes, even FUN! Going in you just don't know what to expect when traveling with a baby. But you can say this of any day at home with your child, right?

We started our journey to Thailand on Asiana Airline. I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I was truly impressed with airline experience. Yes, I did travel regularly for work for 8 years. So, when I say I'm impressed with this airline's service - I REALLY mean it. The staff worked hard to make sure the flight service was smooth. Overall, there was definite baby attitude shift too. Having a baby was not seen as a inconvience but more a joy to be celebrated. Everyone on the plane was excited to have babies around. This never happens on an American flight. You are more likely to have people requesting to be reseated FAR away from the people with baby.

We were also lucky enough to land bassinet row. Bassinet row is genius. I know let's make a row and put all the people with babies there. Then we can make a place for the babies to sleep and our whole plane is happier. It is a no brainer. Airlines should do this on domestic flights too.


One last thing about Asiana's awesomeness. Their hub is the Seoul Incheon Airport. Both our connecting flights were through this airport, which is clean and boasts the nicest traveler amenities anywhere(yes, I mean private delux marble showers and a lounge for sleeping)! Asiana has also embraced it's Korean-ness by serving bulgogi and bibimbap as meal options (both of which were great!)

Alston enjoyed gazing out the window at the cloud formations. Surprizingly, it held his attention quite well. It was really heart melting to see him exuberantly talking to the clouds.


The 18 hour flight zoomed passed. We landed in Bangkok around 10pm caught a taxi to a nearby hotel, The Floral Shire for a bit of shut eye. I completely recommend this hotel for any one needing a hotel close to the Bangkok airport. The staff were very helpful and even arrange an affordable private car to drive us down to the pier in Ban Phe (2 1/2 hours away). From there we caught a 30 minute ferry to Koh Samet. Here's an image of the pier with other ferries waiting as our boat is pulling out.
Once on the island of Samet, we took a group taxi to our hotel. Patrick had flashbacks of some of our excruciating Malian bus rides, when he was crammed into the back of a pick-up truck with way too many other people and bags. I scored the front passenger seat since I had the Alston strapped to the front of me. We slipped down the monsoon flooded mud path they called a road past some shanty resorts and street vendors. Patrick admits to being a bit nervous about where I had booked us.

Here is a shot of Patrick in the back of the pick-up after 2/3 of the passengers had been drop and I could finally see him through the window of the truck cab.

When we finally arrived to Ao Cho Hideaway, it was better than we could have hoped. The beach was small and cozy with a some tables set up for their restaurant. We pulled up a spot, ordered some delicious Thai food with a large Singha and proclaimed our arrival!

No comments: