5.26.2013

Berry-licious!!!

We hauled down a bit past Pescadero for some splendid strawberry picking at Swanton Berry Farm. The day proved rich in simple pleasures. Alston slept on the car ride down and Patrick and I enjoyed the quiet in the car and caught up on adult conversation. Given Alston's chatty nature these moments are a rarity.
While excited about picking... It did not hold Alston's attention as long as anticipated. He did serve as pretty good berry instructor and enjoyed the day outside. And also respected that I was REALLY happy to be there picking my favorite fruit...stopping numerous times to ask me if it was my "best day ever".



On our way home we stopped at another farm stand and I picked up some Fava beans and peas. Alston has been rejecting peas since he got over puréed food as a baby. There were maybe a couple servings of peas as toddler that were accepted but currently they are a rejected food. Anyhow, I sorta hoped that he would enjoy picking the fresh peas from their pods and eating them raw. WOW, was I right! He ate a pound and half as fast as he could shuck the peas and eat them. An amazing sight! I loved watching him devour these peas and going on about how they were such a special treat! I guess we'll be seeing a LOT more fresh peas this summer!




No comments: