11.29.2008

Testing The Parenting Instincts

Yesterday morning, I had my first true test of my parenting instincts... I failed miserably.

One of the few things we've learned about Alston in his 3 weeks of life is that he LIKES to eat. And as I learned yesterday, he has no understanding of when he's eaten too much. This scene ended in Alston (laying on his back) projectile spiting 1 to 2 cups of breast milk vertically into my face. I'm not even sure how he could possibly have this much fluid inside such a little stomach and digestive track. Surely, a good parent would immediately scoop up their child to avoid any potential choking that might occur. Instead, my instinct was to cover the source of the spray with a burp cloth to protect myself. Fortunately, my second instinct was to recognize that my child was in danger and I quickly righted the situation. When scooped up Alston, he had a bewildered look of confusion and curdled breast milk covering his face and upper torso. We both had a good laugh though I'm sure Alston secretively prayed for his father to come home.

I'm sure that with each day - I'm a better parent. Or at least that's what I'm hoping. Too bad there is no REAL owners manual for babies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very funny story! I think all of us with children have had those moments when our parenting instincts are late in kicking in. Don't sweat it!